Paris, Barcelona, Stockholm, London and now Dumfries! Bike2Go is a new automated cycle hire service for both the local community and visitors to Dumfries. Hiring a bike in Dumfries couldn't be simpler!
Cycle hire HUBs have been installed at key locations across the town.
Dumfries has an extensive traffic free cycle network, connecting many of the town's key locations. Bikes can be hired from one HUB and returned to any other HUB.
How to Join
- Register online at Hour Bike
- You can pay with a credit/debit card.
- You will be sent a card ID and PIN number by post. To get your card ID and PIN sooner by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the card ID and PIN number to release a bike from a Hire-A-Bike HUB.
- Alternatively call 01387 280042 to speak to the Bike2Go experts.
Alternatively, if you are visiting Dumfries for the day you can purchase a day or half day ticket. Call 01387 280042 and you will be given a card ID and PIN number.
Hiring a bicycle is simple
- Take your ID and PIN number to the Hire-A-Bike HUB
- Enter the ID and PIN number on the electronic screen
- Select how many bicycles you would like to hire. You can hire up to 5 bikes on the same membership at the same time.
- Select your bicycle. The electronic screen will then give you the bicycle lock combination, allowing you to lock the bicycle up if required.
- Release the bicycle from its HUB by pressing the button on the terminal.
How to return the bicycle to a HUB
- Return the bicycle to any HUB in Dumfries
- When you arrive at the HUB, press the button on the terminal and it will bleep.
- Insert the front spoke into the terminal. Once it is clicked in, your rental has been terminated.
- If there is no space in the HUB, call Bike2Go to terminate your rental. You will be asked to chain the bicycle up at a safe place and it will be collected.
How to check availability
Bicycles can be hired from one of nine locations in Dumfries, at DGOne, Dock Park, Georgetown Library, the Royal Infirmary, Dumfries Railway Station, Lochthorn Library, two at the University and the Whitesands.
View Bike2Go Dumfries in a larger map
Before you set off from your home or your workplace, check the availability of the bicycles at your closest HUB by calling Bike2Go.
- Become a member for free and add a minimum of £5 starting credit to your account;
- Hire a bike for £1 per hour up to a maximum of £2 per day. If your journey is less than half an hour, the hire is free.
- Alternatively, purchase a day ticket for £10 or half day ticket for £6, discounts apply when purchasing for more than one bike.